By | September 17, 2013
Strange Windows 8 blue screen error solved!Most modern laptops comes with Windows 8 pre-installed. Whenever you buy new laptops the manufactures have enabled some bios settings that may be compatible for Windows 8 only.Secure boot and Fast booting is one of such latest technologies that comes with all new laptops and PCs. The technology is called UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) and it is a standard firmware interface for PCs, designed to replace BIOS (basic input/output system).
With EUFI enabled laptops you are unable to repair or re-install Windows.

In this article I’m gonna show you troubleshooting of windows 8 installation if EUFI boot enabled.

Before going to the technical description let me figure out my Windows 8 error.

I got a new laptop (Toshiba Satellite C850) with corrupted Windows 8 preinstalled. It was asking for repair, but when I try to boot from Windows DVD, it was not accepting.

Always shows a blue screen with the following error message.

Recovery

Your PC needs to be repaired.

Required device isn’t connected or can’t be accessed.

Error code: 0xc000000f

You’ll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media. If you don’t have any installation media (like a disk or USB device), contact your system administrator or PC manufacture.

Press Enter to try again
Press F8 for Startup Settings
Press Esc for UEFI Firmware Settings

I got fed up with this laptop for an hour and found it was due to EUFI and SATA compatibility (boot UEFI windows 8). So this article is focused on troubleshooting Windows 8 for this kind of issue.

What is EUFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface)?

It is a method of software interface between an operating system and platform firmware. It’s intended to improve software interoperability and address limitations of BIOS (such as 16-bit processor mode, 1 MB addressable space etc.)

(Image credit: www.en.wikipedia.org)

Some advantages of UEFI firmware include:

• Enhanced security beside boot kit attacks.
  • Quicker startup times and resuming from hibernation.
  • Compatible for disk drives greater than 2.2 terabytes (TB).
  • Support for modern, 64-bit firmware device drivers and possible to address more than 17.2 billion gigabytes (GB) of memory during startup.
  • Compatibility to use BIOS with UEFI hardware.

All the tutorials in SmartPCTricks.com are taken from my real life experience, all of these stuffs will work 100%. Below shows the step by step procedures of what I did to fix my PC while Windows 8 Blue screen error.

How to solve Windows 8 Blue Screen Error

We have to disable Fast UEFI secure boot from the bios to perform windows troubleshoot. Please follow the simple steps,

(Even though this article based on Toshiba Satellite C850, same procedure is applicable for all)

Step 1:
Press and hold F2 key, then power on the machine. You will be directed to BIOS
Step 2:
Look for Security tab inside bios and navigate to Secure Boot. Then Disable it.

(Click on the image to enlarge)

Step 3:
Now go to Advanced → System Configuration
Hit Enter key in System Configuration

(Click on the image to enlarge)

Step 4:
Change Boot Mode in to CSM Mode.

(Click on the image to enlarge)

Step 5:
Whenever you change Boot Mode from EUFI to CSM mode, another option will come just above the boot mode, SATA Controller Mode.

Hit Enter key in SATA Controller Mode and make it Compatibility mode.

(Click on the image to enlarge)

Step 6:
Save settings and Exit by hitting F10 key…

That’s it, now you are able to boot from DVD drive and obliviously you can repair your Windows 8 PC with disk.

Please watch my Video Demonstration of troubleshoot Windows 8 below.

Let’s clarify further doubts via comment box below.

58 thoughts on “[Solved] Error Code 0xc000000f Windows 8: A Required device isn’t connected or can’t be accessed

1. Suranjit Paul

Hello there,

Thank you for this article. It helped me to resolve this problem temporarily.

I have a HP Envy m6-1158ca and got that error.

After following the steps, it is good now.

However, is it possible to permanently fix that and re-enable UEFI booting?
    I would like to install W8 pro but now it failed to update features after rebooting.

Thanks,
    Suranjit

1. Jaseem Post author

Hi brownsugar,
      Try to play with EUFI options and settings

2. Patrick

This is really helpful but what should I do if I don’t have windows 8 disc. I have same problem.

1. Jaseem Post author

Hi Patrick,
      Even you can do it with Windows 7 CD, otherwise try to download Windows 8

3. Jeffrey

I did this and now the setup utility screen is what comes up and will not let me try to revover with recovery disk.
    Any help.

1. Jaseem Post author

Hi Jeffrey,
      Try to use Windows installation CD instead of Recovery disk.

2. Leslye

Hey i have the same problem right now and i also have a dell inspiron 15. Did you ever get your problem fixed? If so, could you please tell me what you did? Thanks @BrownSugar

4. Palak Dubey

Hi,
    I purchased a new Dell Inspiron 15r 5537 from eBay which was received today.
    As I put it on, I see the Blue screen which says PC needs to be repaired and that some files are missing or not installed, etc. Errors 0xc000014c and 0xc000000f are showing up repeatedly.
    I tried to follow various threads on various forums but I am not able to solve it.
    I have not been given any hardware/software CDs by the seller, either, including Windows 8 CD.
    Alongside, the system configuration option is missing from Advanced setting and the SATA Controller mode is set to AHCI which cannot be modified anyhow.
    Please help.

5. Feisal

It’s happening to me now. But mine is windows 8.1. Actually my laptop ist oem windows 8 installed, but i’ve upgraded to windows 8.1. I just want to reset my laptop but it can’t also.

I’ve been trying your tips, but i got stucked because there is no “advanced” menu in BIOS menu.

What should I do then?

Thanks.

6. Alfonso

I have an ASUS desktop and f2 doesnt launch my bios any other way?

7. Eddie

Hi
    Can’t follow you on step 3 and on as i don’t have the advanced option on my bios (HP notebook series i have) is there any other form?

Thanks,
    Eddie

8. Joseph

I have a Surface 2 without a keyboard and I am getting this message. What should/can I do? Thanks.

9. drake

Hi, I can’t find the csm thingy. Btw iam using Hp pavilion laptop

10. Zack gauge

Hi, I’m following your steps on my hp envy m6 K010dx sleekbook but I can not figure out how to remove UEFI boot from the bios

11. Travis G

I must say this actually worked…I changed it to CSM before, but it gave me a bunch of problems, so I was looking to avoid that. When I am done with the installation, would it be best to change it back?

12. Gary S

Hi, I have hp pavilion G6 2301ax with pre-installed windows 8. I have the same problem of blue screen. And there are very few options in bios. will you please help me.

13. Daniel

Hi, I have tried almost all of the steps but on my BIOS the option “Compatibility” on SATA Control Mode is not showed just: AHCI and IDE, what shoul I do?

1. Jon Kurozawa

I have an Asus X105 and I am having same issue…no “Compaitability” just AHCI or IDE

2. Debra

I have same problem as Daniel Aug. 31 2014. Just AHCI and IDE.

Help
      Debra

14. eyoel

i have followed all the steps but stuck when i change the boot mode i couldnt find sata controller mode so that i cant finish the all the step…what can i do to get sata controller mode

15. Jose

Thank you for this inf… But I will like to say that the f2 command from the beginning of the process will not work if you are using a keyboard with an USB….

Also that is why the f8 command does not responded from the instructions as well,,,, is because we are using an USB keyboard
    Jose

16. Mpolokeng

Jaseem, i tried to your instructions. i can only go up to step 1, then it goes to HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI. and the only options that are available are Memory Test, Hard Drive Check, Language and Exit. nothing else. please assist.

17. Lucci

Hi I did all what u show on the tutorial and after Savin is show to me onle toshiba nothing else pls tell me what can I do something else tx

18. Sam fisher

PLEASE. It is UEFI not EUFI. You even explained that it stands for Unified Extensible Firmware Interface. Edit this article immediately!

19. Linda

I followed the above steps but then got a black screen and my laptop won’t do anything. How can I get back into into the BIOS to change everything back?

20. Chiran

Hi I am having the same issue as Mpolokeng. I can do step 1 and then I come to the Hardware Diagnositcs and cant get into the Bios at all. Would really like to have an answer as to what I sould do.

the computer I have this problem on is a Compaq CQ58.

21. B

Made my. Computer worse now it’s just a black a screen saying no bootable disc

22. King David

I have an Asus notebook with the same problem. Trying to refresh from the OS and not from CDRom but I can’t find sysem configuration in Advanced and no csm boot in boot mode.

23. naresh

I have Toshiba laptop and I am facing this blue screen error…I tried to follow your instructions but can’t….because in my laptop, there is no option like secure boot …and data controller mode is already present there…….

24. Sangar Penjweny

Thank you so much for the instruction it was very helpful and worked for me.
    I have lenovo z50 and could not understand what happend when I make recovery disk on my flash disck. After that everything went wrong until I fond your advise. Thanky so much again.
    Sangar penjweny from Kurdistan.

25. jobster

hello,

can somebody send me the procedure when i have asus…!!!!

26. saadia

I have hp compaq presario v3000 with bios version F.3. The option given your bios are not there. I have the same issue with my Laptop. What would u suggest the solution?

27. Juan

My recovery USB came in from Toshiba today, it almost finished the Recovery of the Factory Default Software, I left it alone and it failed someway. This exact error came up, thank you for the walkthrough! It’s now able to boot from the recovery device.

28. Jam

Hello HP users… you can get onto your bios by pushing F10, of this doesn’t work, try pushing esc, which will take you to a screen from which you can choose Bios

29. rohit

please send me your email than i will post my computer problem photo

30. rajkumar

Hi,
    I purchased a new Dell Inspiron 15r 5537 from eBay which was received today.
    Please help.

31. Kelly

Has anyone got the instructions for the Asus laptops having this issue

32. Gary Grace

i have exactly same problem with Toshiba C660-11K. I have a Recovery Disk which I made when I first got the laptop and even when I boot from that I can’t recover anything. Any help would be gratefully received.

33. RelatableRoyalty

Ok, so I have an HP 15 f003dx and my BIOS menu options do NOT include Advanced as a maneuverable tab. Is there an alternate tab I can get to my Boot option that allows me to change to CSM mode?

34. NITESH

I have the same error code 0xc000000f,in my hp envy ultrabook I am able to change secure boot to disable and boot mode to csm but won’t find sata controller mode,kindly guide.
    Thanks in advance.

35. jan

Good day

I bought a new lenovo laptop a week ago and now i got a blue screen

Recovery

Your pc needs to be repaired

A required device isn’t connected or can’t be accessed

Error code: 0xc0000225

Please can you assist me

Regards,

36. Ram

Sir.I m having the Error Code 0xc000000f and tried aboce method to troubleshoot but not able to troubleshoot.. My laptop is Lenovo Z50 series ..Please help me..

37. simha

Iam window 10 to window 8 back up but recovery error code will be accord 0xc000000f plc solve my problem

38. Ashok Chowdhary

Sir in my case the error code is same but laptop is SVF!15318 Sony vaio . For entering to BIOS therein a TWIST button and for compatibility UEFI/LEGACY mode is available. Please suggest how to resolve the error. Drive C is formatted by mistake and the recovery DVD have also damaged.

39. Naresh

Hi sir this is naresh, i am facing the same problem what you had.but i am not abke to see Advance->system configurance option and in SATA operation
    “Compatibility mode”

I am using dell inspiron 3537. i3 processor with windows 8.1. So plz help me to fix it sir

40. george

Hi…I have this problem in my intel Compute Stick and hte problem started with it when I tried to update my windows 8 to 10 thenI got many error so I got in and tried to delete the old windows and intsall new one and that was my last thing I did and I cannot do any thing now with this error and I cannot get in bios .

41. Satyendra Shukla

Hello sir I have same problem of blue screen but I have vain laptop can u please tell me the steps how to solve this problem .I don’t have cd of windows 8.so tell me how to solve my problem .Thank you .

1. Satyendra Shukla

Hello sir I I have vaio laptop and and here and here the same problem of blue screen error code 0xc000000f.please help me to fix it.and I have not windows 8cd